Vanity Much?

November 20, 2008 | Published in | 0 comments

To be frank, I don't care that much anymore about clothes. Is it being slovenly or being slightly less superficial? I throw on a pair of jeans, some crinkly old t-shirt and ratty leopard print Converses on and walk out the door with my diarrhoea green Eastpak every morning these days. Flats just don't do my poor feet good anymore, no matter how cute or bouncy they make my gait look. It's function and form >>> looks these days. My inbox is chock full with emails about the latest styles and clothes from ASOS, American Apparel, Urban Outfitters, even net-a-porter. But, I don't know. Some weird 'Ooohh I must have X from X brand' fuse has blown in my head. All I want right now is to have a functioning Matlab code - as horrifically geeky as that sounds - and to finish running 42km come 07/12. I am suffering from an uncomfortable calf cramp as I write this post; all that training had better not be in vain!

Yes, I am vain in the sense that I want to attain maximum fitness and maximum success in whatever I do. I am vain when I say "No, thanks" to eating out 90% of the time for fear I might will ingest food doused in recycled grease. No, I'm not trying to be a size 8. I have come to terms with the fact that I never will be a bloody size 8 because that's the way I was made, but eating healthy most of the time (except for those times in school where those glorious bars of crunchy Kit Kats just call my name) keeps my sanity and self-esteem intact. A sense of control, if you will. No, I don't support starving yourself. That's just wrong. Food is far too good to give up. I mean, seriously:

Does the crumbly biscuit base make your knees weak? Does the luscious layer of cream spread greedily over the top of the whipped chocolate cheese make you want to die? Can you start to smell the scent of chocolate lightly mixed with a slight hint of coffee already?

Just go out and get a slice.

But just - for the love of God - don't eat it every single day.

Take home message: You don't have to be vain to want to live healthily, but you'd definitely have to be healthy if you are vain. 'Cause, you know, you don't wanna look like a wrinkled old prune by the age of 31.

(Gosh, who knows?! It might be just a phase. I might crave a purple alligator skin wallet by tomorrow evening)

0 Responses