Thanksgiving

November 24, 2009 | Published in | 6 comments

In general, I definitely think people in Malaysia don't say thank you enough. I've heard this rant no less than a hundred and twelve times in my life from my grandfather who gets irate whenever people don't say thank you - he always says thank you. This is why - out of pure habit - every time I get out of someone else's car, I always say thank you to the person who has driven me home. I always say thank you to the person who's just done me a service, be it give me my kopi peng, hand me some change, hold open the door for me etc. Granted, I may be a grumpy person, but that doesn't mean I forget a simple monosyllabic "thanks" or "please" every time somebody has done something small for me.

If I'm rude, it probably just means I either a) have a face problem with you or b) don't like you - at all :)

It goes without saying that ang mohs are infinitely more polite when it comes to simple manners; their sentences typically end with "have a nice day!" or "have a good night". You'd be amazed at how much better you feel as a customer and person afterwards even though you may have just bought about twenty dollars worth of unnecessary candy (I've been stressed).

Since this is my first Thanksgiving here, I thought I'd be extra nice. Here are some things I am thankful for:

1. my underappreciated and overabused family back home
2. my similarly treated friends the world over - I'm only mean because I love you and so you'll remember me always. I hope, anyway.
2. my partner in crime in Boston who gets the worst treatment by far; he only shuts up because he has to.
4. computers and the WWW
5. sam edelman zoe boots
6. james hetfield
7. frozen yogurt
8. the fact that i can, if i so wish, eat my grandma's laksa and char kway teow simultaneously when i'm back home

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you've been reading this blog and/or my notes consistently, more power to you ^^ Email me and I'll send you a postcard. I really do like sending out postcards - when I remember!

6 Responses

  1. Zara says:
    25 November 2009 at 13:52

    i want to eat laksa and char kway teow at the same time toooo. xxx

  2. Catherine says:
    25 November 2009 at 21:10

    Happy Thanksgiving!

  3. Liya says:
    26 November 2009 at 08:11

    happy thanksgivingggggg
    thank-you is always a must!
    and nope, not daul in that sparkly picture, unfortunately :(

    myglitteringcreation.blogspot.com

  4. Jisu says:
    29 November 2009 at 09:59

    This is my first time at your blog but I would love a post card. I think it's a very thoughtful jester.

    Love.

    P.S. Adorable blog by the way :)

  5. B a la Moda says:
    30 November 2009 at 01:46

    It is a good exercise to thank for the thinks that we have been given.

    xoxo
    B* a la Moda

  6. denise - SUPERWOWOMG says:
    1 December 2009 at 00:16

    i want to eat laksa and char kwae teow at the same time too!!! we have toast box here in HK now (wait do you guys have it in malaysia?) and my mom loves it and yknow how the portions are SO small..she always insists on ordering TWO of stuff. SO GOOD but SO FATTY.

    how was your first thanksgiving then? I rmb my first one too like back in 2004. it was awesome food was awesome and we watched team america hahaha