Beauty Schbeauty

April 22, 2009 | Published in | 1 comments

I read Perezhilton.com on a daily - if not hourly basis (the shame, I know) - and while he is often quite funny, I think he's seriously starting to become a whiny bitch re: the Gaygate at Miss USA 2009. Perez has been going on and on and ON about how Miss California responded to his question.

Perez Hilton: “Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?”

Carrie Prejean: “Well, I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offence to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.”

I have to admit, that answer really did her no good. She drew all sorts of boos from the crowd although it was cut out on TV (haha!). AND the fact that she's from California! Whether she likes it or not, America will always be made up of gays, lesbians and transgenders. People like Perez can destroy you if he so wishes. She shouldn't go around saying things like that because people are going to hit her for openly discriminating against gays and lesbians. And wtf just because you're going to be crowned Miss USA doesn't give you the right to say 'my country'. Gee. It ain't the crown for fucking Queen of the World.

While I am totally on the boat for same sex marriage (hell I'm up for marriage with anything, just so long as it's not an inanimate object), Perez has been consistently blogging about other people's viewpoints on gay marriage post-Miss USA, people like Miley Cyrus and Heidi Montag. Seriously? Miley Cyrus and Heidi Montag? They're probably the two people who matter the least on this planet. I've always wanted to trip Miley Cyrus up because she and her Juicy Couture tracksuit just scream "I'm a sixteen-year-old with large pouty lips that are clean from not giving my ripped 21-year-old boyfriend any BJs! I'm so innocent! Bully me now!!!"

I digressed.

It would seem that he's more angry at the fact that she's against gay marriage more so than the way she answered it, although he claims that she's allowed to have her own opinions. Some people have lauded her courage in expressing her honest opinions, while others have totally condemned her for saying "marriage should ONLY be between a man and a woman". I think the part that probably hurt the most is the fact that she repeated that sentence more than once - implying quite explicitly that if you're gay you're basically not worthy of loving anyone and being able to sanctify that bond. If I were in Perez's shoes, I'd have thrown a hissy fit right away. But please la, Perez, don't bring Heidi Montag and Miley Cyrus into it. Go on fighting for gay rights, but don't drag Z-list people who only pretend to care about the LGBT society into it.

However, the fact that she can say all that and have a 10,000 watt smile on her face at the same time totally amazed me. Most beauty pageant contestants are trained to have smiles plastered on their faces 24/7. It's pretty tragic how people subject themselves to such pain, but the masochist in us needs indulging every now and then. She said she went home after and ate a burger for the first time in a long time. Sucks to be a pretty girl! I personally have never agreed with the concept of beauty pageants and I haven't sat down to watch any beauty pageant since I was about 10, but it makes good blog fodder and inspiration for books such as 'Carrie'.


Miss North Carolina
...Daaaayyum. (are her boobs fake, though?)

The concept of free speech can be pretty confusing. It would seem that these days that by free speech we mean throw out the narrow-minded and ONLY allow the open-minded opinions to flow when technically we should be allowed to say whatever the fuck we want without being condemned. Judging others - it's an inherent flaw in all of us.

1 Responses to “Beauty Schbeauty”